Friday, January 13, 2017
Our Specification Sales Department have a wealth of experience with Richard Burbidge products being specified and installed in non-domestic situations, with a large number of customers in the Care Home Sector.
Both our commercially tested timber stair balustrade and wall mounted handrail ranges are particularly popular within the in Care Home sector for many reasons.
- This is an extremely durable material for both domestic homes and commercial buildings.
- When properly looked after it can last hundreds of years. Modern wood preservatives and finishes will enhance the natural durability.
- Wood is very strong structurally. A comparison with steel and concrete shows that pine structural timber, for example, has a strength to weight ratio 20 percent higher than structural steel and four to five times better than non-reinforced concrete in compression.
- Wood construction is fast and efficient and the products can be easily manipulated on site to navigate any tricky staircase or corridor configurations.
- Wood is naturally beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.
Within the Care Home sector also we need to be mindful of Building Regulation compliance and in particular balustrade strength (Part K) and access to and movement within buildings (Part M). We have touched on both in previous articles and feel ‘wood is good’ to achieve all the requirements necessary.
A timber balustrade or wall mounted handrail will contrast visually with the background against which it is seen, without being highly reflective. A timber handrails surface is also slip resistant, and importantly, not cold to touch. Both of these points are an important requirement of Part M.